Valedictorian (Farewell) Speech

Welcome fellow year 6 students, parents and teachers to our year 6 graduation for 2013.

Let me just say, what a journey primary school has been; from the fantasy of Fairy Park excursion to the emotion filled preparation for the met challenges, there has never been a dull moment. It’s hard to believe that we walked our first steps at Moonee Ponds Central way back in prep around 7 years ago and now our farewells will be at Moonee Ponds Primary just in a few days.

I know that I will never forget many memories that where born here and every learning skill will be treasured. Many of us will be overloaded with new facts and understandings in the future but what Moonee Ponds has taught us will never leave our sight, it has prepared us for life, our very first building block.

I’ve never met such a talented group of kids, each with their own talent too. Each and everyone one of us is special, we all know Lauren has her amazing acrobatic skills, Bobby and his funky robot dance, Isabel and her fabulous drawing Tommy and his worm dance, the list just goes on forever.

We are all very intelligent as well as talented; two students from our former group who have left us now both received scholarships into very prestigious schools and they both started right here in prep. Julian has been shortlisted in the Victorian Writers Festival Competition earlier this year, and many students including myself have been showcased for the global weekly challenges for the 100WC that’s part of our weekly homework.

I have so many memories; right back from the start of primary school in prep. I think Friday couldn’t be Friday in years Prep – 2 without Friday fun – I’m pretty sure all the donated costumes are still there!  Ranger Dave’s many visits and holding an Olympic medal in Claire’s class, our first cabaret at the Clock tower centre in year 3 – what an experience, a big thank you again to Tatiana for assisting with the choreography for my Cup of Life performance! Fraction Chef in year 4, and the tears to the laughs for our first met challenge preparations last year.

We have never had a month without an event to remember; 4 different principals, 2 name changes and world disaster events that have impacted on all of our lives just to note a few. Over the years we have had numerous specialist teachers, each with their own special skills. What students have experienced at Moonee Ponds has made us all unique and different; I think it definitely comes out in the year 6’s since we have experienced the most.

It will be very hard leaving an adventure that had seemed to last forever, all the faces that are familiar to us will be missed and for many of us they won’t be the usual faces we’ll see every day at school next year.  But as Charles Dickens said, “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again”. It’s just like we are going back into prep except it will be entirely different, we’ll have a chance to meet new people and start fresh, how could that not sound exciting?

But our journey is definitely not over, it will go on strong until we graduate in another 6 years where we will be ready for any problem that tackles us.

So as we bid farewell tonight to Moonee Ponds Primary School, we won’t just be leaving; we’ll be leaving with hundreds of memories, lifelong friendships and with our heads held high, because we are simply Moonee Ponds Primary School’s class of 2013 and I know no one will ever forget that.

🙂 Thankyou 🙂

2 thoughts on “Valedictorian (Farewell) Speech